Sunday, January 31, 2010

Duanesburg Schoharie Area


The Duansburg/Schoharie area is a sleepy place about 35 miles west of Albany. Duansburg was originally known as Duanes's Bush and was then established as Duanesburg in 1765. For a brief period it was combined with Schoharie, NY as the United Districts of Schoharie and Duanesburg on March 24, 1772, It split off again from Schoharie in 1789 and was its own town once again.

Early on, James Duane whom the town was named after, aspired to make Duanesburg the future capital of New York State. It was never to be. Though it never reached that goal, Duanesburg became an important railway center, boasting by 1907 the largest coaling station in the world located in the Village of Delanson.

Duanesburg remains a characteristically rural area.  With the completion of Interstate 88, Duanesburg is called home by many who work in the Albany, Schenectaday and Troy areas.

As you drive through the Duanesburg/Schoharie area, you are surrounded by vast, sleepy fields with horses quietly grazing and scattered farms of all types.  The quiet country roads are dotted with diners and signs boasting fresh eggs and poultry. As I got out of the car to take photographs, the silence was overwhelming.

I came across the Silver Maple Farm and glanced to my right. I passed this next picture but pulled over fast. 

I found two friends waiting for me, and posing for my picture.


Horses are the easiest thing to photograph. Their beauty can't be erased, even by the most inexperienced photographer. I couldn't go by these guys (or gals) without capturing them.
Two of my favorite places to visit when I am over this way is the Carrot Barn and the Apple Barrel.  Too bad for me, the Carrot Barn was closed up.  It is a great fall and summer place to visit. Its a huge barn full of goodies, and flowers and fresh produce.  I once heard that the mayor of Schoharie ended up on a late night talk show somehow. I think it was Letterman or the Tonight Show but I can't be sure.  I do remember though that the host asked "So what kind of perks do you get being the Mayor of Schoharie?"  And he replied "I don't have to stand in line at the Carrot Barn."

The Apple Barrel is just up the road and I love to go there. It is the neatest little store with all kinds of things from greeting cards, wall pictures, clothing, jams, jellies and any gift you can want to give someone.  But the thing I love about it is the atmosphere. I could just walk around here all day.  The back room that used to be just another room is now a sit down cafe.

Usually by the time I reach this place I'm hungry.  Although all I purchased was one small chocholate covered Oreo cookie (my favorite), the woman behind the counter, whom I presume is the owner, gave me a complimentary Apple Barrel tote bag full of goodies.  I thought that was very generous and I was touched by the gesture.  Then I felt guilty for buying just a cookie, but she didn't seem to mind one bit.
 







On my way back to Albany, I had one last place to stop in Duansburg.  Its called  The Bear's Steakhouse and is run by a family. The Dad, who I think owns the place walks around greeting the customers. A son, or two work in the restaurant.  Steak is their specialty. It is so good. Make sure and give it a try.
 
I love this area. Its a great day trip, especially when you want to take it easy. I really didn't want to take it that easy. My goal was to go to Duanesburg Sky Diving. But, you wouldn't believe how hard it is to find a willing soul. I had 3 lined up, but each of them got scared. I don't think of myself as someone who really wants to jump out of a plane, but I vowed that I'd let this blog take me where ever it goes. I promise, before this is over, I will jump out of that plane and it will be posted here. Hmmm...maybe for the letter S for Sky Diving.
Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Right on! Cool idea for a blog - you must have a lot of time and a very trusty car. Does your job let you do all the traveling?

    ReplyDelete