Friday, February 12, 2010

F is for Fantasy Flights Hot Air Balloon Rides! Middletown, NY

Fantasy Flights is located in Middletown NY.  Let me start by saying this was one of the best things I ever did.  I had to talk a friend into it and she was a trooper to come with me. Especially since she had to get to my house by 2 AM so we could get to Middletown before sunrise. I remember after, she said, "I'm so glad I went, you really do the best things."

When I set out to do this blog, I planned on doing the pictures as I went along. This one post is an exception. This was a few years back and I am using old pictures. I wasn't sure if a new flight would give me what I captured on this trip, in fact, I'm sure it wouldn't. When you scroll down and see the pictures, you will know what I mean. The views are like a painter's canvas. I captured it once and its doubtful that I will ever get pictures like this again.

Anyway, my friend arrived at my house at 2 am and we set out in the dark for a long drive to Middletown.  It was fall, and the air was wet and it was dark when we pulled into this field.  It's always daunting when you don't know what to expect, but you have to forge through your fear to get to the good stuff.

When we got there, we went into a big hanger.  What I remember most was a lady who brought her husband. He was blindfolded and wondering where the heck he was. It was his birthday and she got him a Hot Air Balloon ride for a gift.  As they started inflating the Balloon she took the blindfold off and he was stunned.


The first group went up in the Balloon and we followed in a van. After a while, their flight was about to land in someone's yard. The guy with us in the van had to run to the front door, get permission from the resident to land and then sent the message to the pilot that all was ok. When they landed, we all switched places. We got into the Balloon and took off while they got into the van and followed. When we took off it was so quiet and smooth.  The pilot has us shut our eyes for 30 seconds or so.  There was no feeling of movement, but when we opened our eyes we were way, way, way up!   It was the strangest sensation.  And, it wasn't a bit scary.

We got back to the hanger and had champagne and cake to celebrate that one person's birthday which was great. We made a few new friends.

We went out to breakfast on the way home. It was a full day and not even 10 am yet! If I remember right, I think we hit Hyde park on the way home. Life is to be lived, squish as much you can into one day.

It was a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment