Monday, January 18, 2010

Bolton Landing


After my visit to Ausable Chasm in Keesville NY, I started making my way south back down through the Adirondacks

As I got closer to the Lake George region I remembered the little town of Bolton Landing, a spot that is a neat place to visit for a day tripper. I thought, what a great spot for my "B" picture.

So when I reached exit 24 of the Adirondack Northway, I turned off and headed down the hill to the village I've missed. As the road descends towards the village there is a spectacular view of Lake George cradled by mountains, like a pair of hands offering you something precious to welcome you. It's only there for a few seconds so pay attention. It sinks out of view as you descend and the street and buildings swallow up the lake and you enter the village.

The town of Bolton landing was formed from the town of Thurman in 1799. In its early days it was mostly made up of mountains and valleys and forests. I've read that these forests were roamed by a substantial population of Indians. Lumber was the main business in town and there were many saw mills and grist mills.

Today the streets are lined with shops and eateries. The village has managed to keep the quaint feel and the buildings are colorful and fun. Many Adirondack trinkets and unusual gifts can be found, especially for the Lake House or Cabin dweller.

Bolton Landing is just north of Lake George Village and is right on Lake George itself. Lake George is touted as one of the most beautiful lakes in the Country. The scenic views are breathtaking and  the section of lake that rolls up on Bolton Landing Shores is no exception.

Many visitors to Lake George Village put Bolton Landing on their list of things to do. A nice afternoon of shopping followed by an early dinner, looking out over a mountainous blue lake full of white sails drifting by is a must do. It's also fun to watch the pier full of speed boats and visitors coming and going by boat in casual summer wear. It is a beautiful place in the fall, as the Adirondacks Mountains are known for vibrant fall colors.

I have many special memories of this place, from sitting with the family with a dish of  Ben and Jerry's ice cream, watching the world walk by, to passing through while out on fall leaf peeping tours. It felt like I was visiting an old friend.

While taking the following pictures I noticed how many people came out to enjoy the village. Though a favorite summer place, there were plenty of people still out enjoying the rare day of January sun.

I didn't take any pictures of the shoreline because it is January after all. Check back for my "L" project and you will see plenty of Lake George pictures.

I concentrated more on the town of Bolton Landing itself. Enjoy!
















No comments:

Post a Comment